Paul practices principally in the area of Commercial Restructuring & Bankruptcy. Paul is the founder of the firm's corporate reorganization practice and chaired the section for more than 20 years. Paul represents both debtors and creditors. He has appeared in bankruptcy courts around the country, as well as acted as lead counsel in a number of major out-of- court workouts. He has also acted for purchasers and sellers of businesses, both in and out of bankruptcy, and has also acted as a court-appointed Chapter 11 Trustee and a court- appointed bankruptcy mediator.
Paul has been involved in a large number of industrial cases in the steel, aluminum, railroad, cement, pulp and paper and natural resource industries. As a result, he has had extensive experience working with labor unions as well as governmental agencies, such as the Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation. In that connection, he has acted as special labor counsel to various companies, both in and out of bankruptcy; in connection with restructured labor contracts.
Harvard Law School, 1970, LL.M.
University of Pittsburgh School of Law, 1968, J.D., Editor, Law Review
University of Minnesota, 1965
Since 2000 Paul has served as lead counsel in 11 cases representing former manufacturers and distributors whose products contained asbestos. Pursuant to confirmed Chapter 11 Plans of Reorganization, asbestos- related personal injury and wrongful death claims against the debtor corporations were transferred to trusts which assumed responsibility for both existing and future asbestos claims, thus discharging the manufacturers and distributors from those asbestos-related liabilities. The asbestos trusts were funded with both company (and sometimes parent) funds as well as proceeds from various insurance settlements that Paul negotiated.
Paul served as President and Chairman of the American College of Bankruptcy from 2008-2010, the bankruptcy organization that honors through selection by members those in the profession of the highest distinction.
Paul has lectured frequently on various insolvency law matters, both in continuing legal education programs and in programs for financial executives, real estate professionals and trade associations.
Honors and Awards
• Chairman of the American College of Bankruptcy, the National Honorary organization of bankruptcy professionals that is active in pro bono matters and legal education (2010-2012)
• Listed in Who's Who Legal
• Listed in Who’s Who in American Law
• Selected through peer review for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America© for Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights / Insolvency and Reorganization Law, Bet-the-Company Litigation, and Litigation - Bankruptcy, 1987-2020. He also received the Best Lawyers™ "Lawyer of the Year" award in Pittsburgh in 2011 and 2016 for Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights / Insolvency and Reorganization Law and in 2012 for Litigation - Bankruptcy.
• Recognized in Chambers USA as one of America's leading bankruptcy/restructuring lawyers (2003-2009, 2012-2017)
• Selected for inclusion in the Pennsylvania Super Lawyers list for Bankruptcy: Business (2004-2019)
• Fellow, American Bar Foundation
• Fellow, Allegheny County Bar Foundation
221 W. Stewart Avenue, Suite 207
Medford, OR 97501
Ph: (541) 858-1665
Fx: (541) 858-9187
Copyright © 2020 Association of Insolvency & Restructuring Advisors