Alex F. Mattera
Partridge Snow & Hahn LLP
Alex focuses his practice on all aspects of commercial bankruptcy, bankruptcy litigation, insolvency, business reorganization, and creditor and debtor rights. His representation includes secured creditors, creditors’ committees, trustees, debtors, and other parties-in-interest in bankruptcy and related proceedings. He is a frequent panelist on behalf of the American Bankruptcy Institute, the Boston Bar Association and Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education.
Early in his career, Alex served as law clerk to the Honorable James F. Queenan, Jr., former Chief Judge of the United States Bankruptcy Court for the District of Massachusetts.
- Distinguished rating from Martindale-Hubbell, based upon the confidential opinion of peers and judges
- Boston Magazine, “Rising Star”, 2005-2012
- M. Ellen Carpenter Financial Literacy Program volunteer
- Pro Bono Publico recognition from United States Bankruptcy Court, District of Massachusetts
Representative Cases/ Transactions
- Negotiates chapter 11 plans of reorganization across multiple industries, including restaurant, manufacturing and retail sectors.
- Represents mortgagees and secured equipment lenders in chapter 11 reorganizations and sales, chapter 7 liquidations, assignments for the benefit of creditors and receiverships.
- Represents both single and multi-asset real estate entities in complex financial restructurings.
- Assists chapter 11 and chapter 7 trustees in administration of bankruptcy proceedings, liquidations of assets, and pursuit of estate claims and causes of action against multiple parties.
- Represents avoidance action defendants against preferential transfer and fraudulent conveyance claims by bankruptcy trustees and debtors-in-possession.
- Represents landlord and tenant interests in bankruptcy proceedings.
- Assists interest holders in closely held corporations, partnerships and family-owned business resolve disputes and ownership issues.
- Asserts and defends claims of individual creditors in bankruptcy and non-bankruptcy state-law insolvency proceedings.
- Conducts bankruptcy sales on behalf of sellers, including trustees and debtors-in-possession.
- Represents buyers of assets in bankruptcy and other liquidation sales.
- Represented Official Committees of Unsecured Creditors in chapter 11 bankruptcy proceedings.
- Chapter 11 Theory & Practice: A Guide to Reorganization, Treatise Assistant Editor
Representative Speaking Engagements
- “Advising the Financially Distressed Company from Retention to Filing: Key Prepetition Steps to Ensure Post-Petition Success” - Association of Insolvency & Restructuring Advisors, June 2019
- “LLCs, Nominee Trusts & Other Real Estate Holding Entities” - Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education, March 2019
- “20th Annual New England Bankruptcy Law Conference 2018” - Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education, December 2018
- “Exemption Strategies After Law v. Siegal” - American Bankruptcy Institute, July 2015
- “The Homestead Exemption: You’ve Filed, Now What?” - Boston Bar Association, April 2014
- “How to Handle Consumer Bankruptcies” - Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education, October 2009
- “Young Bench Meets Bar” - Boston Bar Association, January 2008
- “Basic Creditor Issues in Bankruptcy” - Boston Bar Association, January 2008
- “Health Care Reorganizations” - American Bankruptcy Institute, July 2007
- “Nuts and Bolts: An Introduction to Consumer Bankruptcy Law” - Boston Bar Association, March 2006
- “The Equity Powers of the Bankruptcy Court: A Trend Against the Broad Exercise of Discretion?” - Boston Bar Association, February 2006
- “De-Mystifying Bankruptcy” - Boston Bar Association, November 2004
- “Dealing with Governmental Units” - American Bankruptcy Institute, July 2004
- “Significant Supreme Court and Court of Appeals Decisions” - Boston Bar Association, May 2004
- “How Bankruptcy Laws Have Changed the Energy and Telecommunications Fields” - Boston Bar Association, November 2002
- Boston Bar Association
- Steering Committee (2006 - Present)
- Co-Chair, Education Committee (2013 - 2015)
- Co-Chair, Practice and Procedures Committee (2011 - 2013)
- Co-Chair, Membership Committee (2006 - 2008)
- Gloucester Bar Association
- New Hampshire Bar Association
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- Lanesville Congregational Church
- Chairman, Board of Deacons
- Assistant Treasurer