James E. Nugent, CIRA
Jim has more than 30 years of experience providing business and financial advisory, transaction advisory and restructuring services. He has substantial experience in the healthcare industry assisting health systems, hospitals, nursing home/ SNF providers, CCRCs, rehabilitation and PT providers, physician organizations and ambulatory networks, DMEs, pharmaceutical companies, manufacturers and supply distributors and lenders with difficult and complex business, transactional and restructuring decisions and related implementation plans. In addition to business consulting experience, he has served as Chief Restructuring Officer (“CRO”), Chief Operating Officer (“COO”) and Chief Financial Officer (“CFO”) in an interim management capacity for healthcare companies during restructuring situations. He has advised on over 60 healthcare M&A transactions.
Representative examples of Jim’s healthcare engagement experience include:
- Advised over 175 diverse healthcare systems, providers, companies, lenders and private equity sponsors and investors with business and financial planning, operational and debt restructuring, clinical service line plans, physician integration, operations assessments, cost reduction plans, market and financial assessments, M&A transactions, post-transaction integration plans, lender negotiations and performance improvement implementations.
- Advised medical supplies distribution company on a restructuring plan and led implementation of performance improvement initiatives.
- Served as CRO to a provider organization comprised of a physician organization, ambulatory care and surgery network, laboratory services, physical therapy, imaging centers and critical access hospital.
- Advised lender on multi-state outpatient PT provider business plan and financial forecast, performance improvement opportunities, liquidity forecast and needs and strategic alternatives.
- Advised and assisted a health system with hospital acquisition assessments, business planning, performance improvement and efficiency plans to drive EBITDA, and post-transaction integration and implementation assistance.
- Advised on financial performance and financial functions for a DSO and its equity sponsor.
- Conducted business and financial assessment on a multi-state physician organization and clinic network for a lender. Other financial assessments include a laboratory, hospitals, confidential 120 location nursing home and rehabilitation provider and a pharmacy distribution company.
- Advised on business plan and multi-year financial forecast of a rehabilitation/PT/OT provider with contracts at over 125 nursing home locations related to negotiation of an amendment with a lender.
- Advised TPA, care management and provider network business regarding business plan, annual budget, performance improvement initiatives, liquidity management and communications with lenders.
- Served as CRO for a mid-Atlantic CCRC and rehabilitation provider to manage and restructure operations, marketing, revenue cycle, financial reporting and to improve financial performance (increase volume and reduce operating costs), negotiate with bank lenders, secure amendments and assist with refinancing.
Education and Certification
- Master of Business Administration, DePaul University, Chicago, IL
- Bachelor of Science in Accounting, Northern Illinois University, DeKalb, IL
- Certified Public Accountant (Registered in Illinois)
- Certified Insolvency & Restructuring Advisor